- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boat and Kayak Tours
Alaska Travel Adventures. Alaska Travel Adventures leads a three-hour kayaking tour in protected waters south of Sitka. The tour includes friendly guides, basic kayak instruction, and snacks at a remote cabin on the water. Sitka, AK, 99835. 800/323–5757. www.bestofalaskatravel.com.
Allen Marine Tours. One of Southeast's largest and best-known tour operators, Allen Marine Tours leads different boat-based Sitka Sound tours throughout the summer, such as the Wildlife Quest tours, which are a fine opportunity to view humpback whales, sea otters, puffins, eagles, and brown bears in a spectacular setting. When seas are calm enough, Allen Marine offers a tour to the bird sanctuary at St. Lazaria Islands National Wildlife Refuge. 1512 Sawmill Creek Rd., Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/747–8100 or 888/747–8101. www.allenmarinetours.com.
Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures. The guide company's waterfront operation is easy to find: just look for the big blue bus it uses as its base at Crescent Harbor next to Harrigan Centennial Hall. Sitka Sound runs a variety of guided kayak trips through the mysterious and beautiful outer islands off the coast of Sitka. Experienced paddlers who want to go it on their own can rent gear from the company. Sitka Sound's guides quickly help new-to-the-area paddlers understand its wonders (and, for day trips, Sitka Sound packs a great picnic). Harbor Dr. at Centennial Hall, Sitka, AK, 99835. 907/752–0660. www.kayaksitka.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe