- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A half-dozen miles from Craig is the Tlingit village of Klawock, with a sawmill, cannery, hatchery, and the island's only airport. The town is best known for its striking totem poles in Totem Park. Several of these colorful poles were moved here in the 1930s; others are more recent carvings. You can watch carvers restoring old totems at the carving shed, across the road from the grocery store.
Along the bay you'll find St. John's by the Sea Catholic Church, with stained-glass windows picturing Native Alaskans.
Prince of Wales Hatchery. Klawock is also home to Prince of Wales Hatchery, one of the state's most effective hatcheries. It's open year-round ($2) and it also has a small visitor center with an aquarium full of young coho salmon. Call ahead to confirm hours. Mile 9 along Craig-Hollis Hwy., Craig, 99921. 907/755–2231. www.powha.org. Daily 8-4:30.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Alaska Road Trip July 16-30, 2013
Tues. Read more
In June, I travelled with Norwegian sun and visited 3 port of calls(Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway). Read more
Actually, we HAVE done an Alaskan cruise once before - southbound from Seward to Vancouver, same as this time. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more