- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to Alaska Cruises
At a Glance
- nightly rate covers up to four guests
- quiet setting
- restaurant is open only to hotel guests
- location is remote
Check Rates from our Partners
McFarland's Floatel Review
At this quiet resort 2 miles across the bay from the logging town of Thorne Bay on the eastern side of Prince of Wales, each of the four beachfront log cabins sleeps up to six people and includes a loft, woodstove, full kitchen, and private bath. A 200-foot walkway leads to the floating main lodge, which was built in Ketchikan but floated by raft to its present location in 1981. The lodge now acts as a gathering place for Floatel guests and visitors. A bait and food store is also on the property. Co-owner Jeannie McFarland teaches basketry workshops and sells her pine-needle raffia baskets here. The McFarlands can help you book a charter-fishing trip, or you can rent a skiff and fishing gear and head out on your own. The property is accessible by floatplane, private boat, or road from the ferry terminal.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Alaska Road Trip July 16-30, 2013
Tues. Read more
In June, I travelled with Norwegian sun and visited 3 port of calls(Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway). Read more
anybody out there who knows both tours?
We are not sure, if a tour from Seward is nicer/better/more intense/with more glaciers to see than tours wich start from Whittier.
The Seward-tours travel to Read more
· News & Features
Navigate the chaotic street food scene of Ho Chi Minh City like a pro with our quick guide to no-fuss ... Read more
Come for the beautiful architecture and stay for the vibrant local culture.... Read more
A look at ultra-luxurious airline accomodations and a fascinating visual breakdown of literary storytelling are... Read more