- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Alaska Mountain Guides. Guide service and rock-climbing school Alaska Mountain Guides leads a variety of hiking and mountaineering trips from Haines, ranging from half-day trips to 90-day expeditionary courses for hiking, sea kayaking, fly-fishing, ice climbing, rock climbing, skiing, and mountaineering. Sea-kayak rentals are also available. Haines, AK, 99827. 907/766–3366 or 800/766–3396. www.alaskamountainguides.com.
Battery Point Trail. This is a fairly level path that hugs the shoreline for 1.2 miles, providing fine views across Lynn Canal. The trail begins a mile east of town, and a campsite can be found at Kelgaya Point near the end. For other hikes, pick up a copy of "Haines Is for Hikers" at the Haines Convention and Visitors Bureau. End of Beach Rd., Haines, AK, 99827. www.seatrails.org/com_haines/trl-battery.htm.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe