Inside Passage Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Native art and culture: Ancestral home of the Tlingit, Haida, and Tsimshian, Southeast is dedicated to preserving native heritage. Native crafts include totem poles and masks.
Rivers of ice: Visitors relish the opportunity to walk on Southeast's accessible glaciers or to admire them on flightseeing or kayak trips.
Tongass National Forest: America's largest national forest is home to bears, bald eagles, Sitka black-tailed deer, wolves, and marine mammals.
Fishing nirvana: Southeast is an angler's paradise. The region's healthy populations of salmon and halibut—as well as the wealth of charter boats and fishing lodges—make this a premier fishing destination.
Taking the ferry: The Alaska Marine Highway is the primary means of transportation here. It's a low-cost, high-adventure alternative to cruising, and an easy way to spend time talking to Alaskans.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe