Camp Denali and North Face Lodge
At a Glance
- only in-park lodge with a view of Denali
- access to canoes
- strong emphasis on learning
- attention to detail
- dedicated staff
- credit cards not accepted
- rates start at $1,650 per person
- alcohol is BYOB
- not advisable for families with children under eight
- Camp Denali cabins lack private baths (but you can't beat the view from the outhouse)
Camp Denali and North Face Lodge Review
The legendary, family-owned-and-operated Camp Denali and North Face Lodge both offer stunning views of Mt. McKinley and active learning experiences deep within Denali National Park, at Mile 89 on the park road, past where most of the park buses stop at Wonder Lake. At Camp Denali, an inholding that predates the formation of the park, guests stay in one of 18 cabins that include a small wood-burning stove, wall-mounted propane lights, Alaskan artwork, and quilts crafted by members of the staff. Guests share bathing facilities, though each cabin has its own outhouse. Camp Denali is largely run on renewable energy. North Face Lodge is a north country–style inn built on a tundra meadow. It has 15 rooms, each with private bath. The knowledgeable naturalists on staff offer guided outings during the three-, four-, or seven-night stays. Evening programs focus on the natural and cultural history of Denali. Each lodge has its own kitchen and dining room featuring local and organic food, and fresh-baked goods. Rates include round-trip transport to the park entrance on custom buses, all meals, guided activities, and recreation gear such as canoes, mountain bikes, and fishing tackle. The lodge can also arrange flightseeing.
- Address: Mile 89, Denali Park Rd., Denali National Park, AK 99755 | Map It
- Phone: 907/683–2290
- Website: www.campdenali.com
- Location: Within the Park
- 18 cabins (Camp Denali) with shared shower, 15 rooms (North Face Lodge).
- Rate includes all-inclusive.
- No credit cards.
- Closed mid-Sept.–early June.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Alaska Road Trip July 16-30, 2013
Tues. Read more
In June, I travelled with Norwegian sun and visited 3 port of calls(Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway). Read more
Actually, we HAVE done an Alaskan cruise once before - southbound from Seward to Vancouver, same as this time. Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more