Mile 4, Stampede Rd., Healy, Alaska, 99743, USA
Above the tree line at the edge of Denali National Park, EarthSong has views of open tundra backed by peaks of the Alaska Range. Each of a dozen hand-built cabins has a theme (Denali, Sled Dog, Mountaineering) and private bath, a rarity in cabins in remote settings. Cabin sizes range from supercozy (perfect for one or two people) to queen suites with separate sitting rooms and decks. In winter EarthSong Lodge is the only concessionaire permitted to lead multiday dog-mushing tours into Denali, though the lodge itself is closed during winter months, so they partner with the nearby Dome Home for accommodations. The restaurant, Henry's Coffeehouse, named after a beloved sled dog, serves breakfast and espresso drinks and makes sack lunches. It has a great homey atmosphere with a living room, dining room, and library. Browse the made-in-Alaska gifts next door at the Divas in Denali gift shop. Slide shows of Denali through the seasons and dogsledding expeditions are a nightly treat; tours of the sled-dog kennel are offered as well.
- each cabin has a distinct character
- the owners offer a wealth of knowledge
- hypoallergenic bedding and totally smoke-free environment
- a 17-mile drive from the park entrance
- some people might not like the "shoes off" policy in the cabins, but (a) it's very Alaskan and (b) after you go tromping around Denali, you'll find it really does help keep things cleaner
BACK TO TOP