Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Fodor's The Complete Guide to Alaska Cruises
Plan Your Denali National Park and Preserve Vacation
Denali National Park and Preserve is Alaska's most visited attraction for many reasons: the most accessible of Alaska's national parks and one of only three connected to the state's highway system, the 6-million-acre wilderness offers views of mountains so big they seem like a wall on the horizon; endless wildlife, from cinnamon-color Toklat grizzlies to herds of caribou, to moose with antlers the size of coffee tables; glaciers with forests growing on them; autumn tundra the color of a kid's breakfast cereal.
There are plenty of options right outside the park entrance, but don’t expect to find anything open in winter.
For eating inside the park, your only option is what you carry in—and don’t forget the bear-proof food container... read more
Things To Do in Denali National Park and Preserve
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Visit Fairbanks for Less: Hotels Fr $66+/Nt Travelocity
- $469 & up -- Ends 7/26: Alaska Cruise Sale w/Onboard Credit Norwegian Cruise Line
- $279 & up -- 7-Day Alaska Cruises incl. Glacier Bay Norwegian Cruise Line
- $629 & up -- Alaska: Weeklong Glacier Bay Cruise on Carnival Carnival Cruise Lines
Backcountry hiking: Getting off the road system and into the park's managed units allows for a true wilderness experience, limited... Read more
Enjoy moose from a distance! Weighing 1,000 pounds or more, they can get pretty mean despite their harmless appearance; in fact, every... Read more
If you want to camp in the park, either in a tent or an RV, there are five campgrounds, with varying levels of access and facilities.... Read more
Only experienced backpackers should consider camping overnight in Denali's wilderness. To try this option, you need to get a special... Read more
Thirty-seven species of mammals reside in the park, from wolves and bears to little brown bats and pygmy shrews that weigh a fraction... Read more
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We travelled to central/south-central Alaska for twelve days from June 25 to July 7. Except for a horribly rainy day in Denali, we ha... Read more
We went on a road trip to see Alaska in 2010. We started at Anchorage, driving south to Homer. Staying at Homer for 2 nights, went hik... Read more