Denali National Park and Preserve Travel Guide
Fodor's Alaska 2013
Denali National Park and Preserve is Alaska's most-visited attraction for a reason: the most accessible of Alaska's national parks and one of only three connected to the state's highway system, the 6-million-acre wilderness offers views of mountains so big they seem like a wall on the horizon; endless wildlife, from cinnamon-color Toklat grizzlies to herds of caribou, to moose with antlers the size of coffee tables; glaciers with forests growing on them; autumn tundra the color of a kid's breakfast cereal. Denali is a chance for a visitor to have the wildlife and scenic experience that Yellowstone offered 50 years ago, but Denali has ever so much more as well.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Denali National Park and Preserve restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Denali National Park and Preserve
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $749 -- Weeklong Glacier Cruise on Norwegian, Save $210 CruisesOnly
- $699 -- 7-Night Alaska & Glacier Cruise, Save $250 — $699 CruisesOnly
- $579 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Glacier Cruise, R/T Seattle — $579 Norwegian Cruise Line
- $549 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Celebrity — $549 American Express Travel
- $449 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Glacier Cruise on Princess — $449 American Express Travel
Backcountry hiking: Getting off the road system and into the park's managed units allows for a true wilderness experience, limited only by time... Read more
The most prominent geological feature of the park is the Alaska Range, a 600-mi-long crescent of mountains that separates South Central Alaska... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We have done a fair amount of traveling (often with help from these forums) and so people are always asking us where we are going next. Read more
My husband and I really wanted to get to Alaska this year, but due to scheduling conflicts the only time-frame we could make it work was the last weekend of September through the first week of October. Read more