- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport is 6 miles from Downtown Anchorage on International Airport Road. Several carriers, including ERA, Frontier Flying Service, and PenAir, connect Anchorage with smaller Alaskan communities. Floatplane operators and helicopters serve the area from Lake Hood, which is adjacent to and part of Anchorage International Airport. A number of smaller air taxis and air-charter operations are at Merrill Field, 2 miles east of Downtown on 5th Avenue.
Taxis queue up at the lower level of the airport terminals outside the baggage-claim areas. They are on a meter system; it costs about $20, not including tip, for a ride to Downtown. An Alaska Railroad station in the airport has direct service to Downtown. Most of the larger hotels provide free airport shuttle services.
Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (5000, W. International Airport Rd. 907/266–2526. www.anchorageairport.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's