- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tour Anchorage and the surrounding mountains and glaciers of South Central Alaska by land or by air with one of the many sightseeing companies in the region. The Log Cabin and Visitor Information Centers have brochures for Anchorage bus tours, and for a one-hour overview, hop on a trolley with Anchorage City Trolley Tours. Gray Line of Alaska has a city tour ($54) that lasts 3½ hours.
Any air-taxi company can arrange for a flightseeing trip over Anchorage and environs. The fee is determined by the length of time you are airborne, number of passengers, and size of the plane. Tours of about an hour and a half generally cost around $200 per person. Three-hour flights over Mt. McKinley from Rust's Flying Service, including a landing on a remote lake or a stop in Talkeetna, run $375 per person.
Anchorage City Trolley Tours (907/276-5603 or 888/917-8687. www.alaskatrolley.com.)
Gray Line of Alaska (907/277-5581 or 888/452-1737. www.graylinealaska.com.)
Rust's Flying Service (907/243-1595 or 800/544-2299. www.flyrusts.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel