- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Tackling a 50-pound salmon: Anglers can cast for huge king salmon or feisty silvers while wading among reflections of skyscrapers at Ship Creek.
Winter celebrations: Beginning in late February, locals celebrate the two-week Fur Rendezvous. Events—from the blanket toss to the Running of the Reindeer, Alaska's spin on Pamplona's tradition—lead up to the start of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race in early March.
Shopping: Shops and vendors at the Saturday and Sunday markets sell everything from kid-friendly tchotchkes to elegant Alaska Native crafts and locally produced foods.
Seafood: Dining out in Anchorage means feasting on local halibut, salmon, king-crab legs, scallops, and oysters. Many fine restaurants hide in not-so-pretty strip malls.
Hiking and biking: Laced with more than 120 miles of paved urban trails, Anchorage is a paradise for hikers and bicyclists.Updated: 01-2014
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's