Ice-Skating in Anchorage
Ice-skating is a favorite wintertime activity in Anchorage, with several indoor ice arenas, outdoor hockey rinks, and local ponds opening when temperatures drop. Though Alaska's early winters and cold temperatures often allow for pond skating as early as mid-November, call the Visitor's Center or the city’s parks and recreation department before stepping out onto pond ice.
Ben Boeke Ice Arena. Ben Boeke Ice Arena is a city-run indoor ice arena with open skating and skate rentals September to mid-March. 334 E. 16th Ave., Midtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501. 907/274–5715. www.benboeke.com.
Dimond Ice Chalet. An indoor ice rink at Dimond Mall, the Dimond Ice Chalet is open to the public daily. 800 E. Dimond Blvd., South Anchorage, Anchorage, AK, 9515. 907/344–1212. www.dimondicechalet.com.
Westchester Lagoon. In winter, Westchester Lagoon, 1 mile south of downtown, is a favorite outdoor family (and competitive) skating area, with smooth ice, mountain views, and piles of firewood next to the warming barrels. Anchorage, AK. www.muni.org/departments/parks.
Other pond skating possibilities include Cheney Lake, Goose Lake, Potter Marsh, Jewel Lake, and Spenard Lake.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's