Ice-Skating in Anchorage
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ice-skating is a favorite wintertime activity in Anchorage, with several indoor ice arenas, outdoor hockey rinks, and local ponds opening when temperatures drop. Though Alaska's early winters and cold temperatures often allow for pond skating as early as mid-November, consider calling the Visitor's Center or asking an in-the-know local before stepping out onto pond ice.
Ben Boeke Ice Arena. Ben Boeke Ice Arena is a city-run indoor ice arena with open skating and skate rentals year-round. 334 E. 16th Ave., Midtown, Anchorage, AK, 99501. 907/274-5715. www.benboeke.com.
Dimond Ice Chalet. An indoor ice rink at Dimond Mall, the Dimond Ice Chalet is open to the public daily. 800 E. Dimond Blvd., South Anchorage, Anchorage, AK, 9515. 907/344-1212. www.dimondicechalet.com.
Westchester Lagoon. In winter, Westchester Lagoon, 1 mile south of downtown, is a favorite outdoor family (and competitive) skating area, with smooth ice, mountain views, and piles of firewood next to the warming barrels. Anchorage, AK. www.muni.org/departments/parks.
Other pond skating possibilities include Cheney Lake, Goose Lake, Jewel Lake, and Spenard Lake.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian — $599 American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel