Fishing in Anchorage
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nearly 30 local lakes are stocked with catchable game fish. You must have a valid Alaska sport fishing license to fish in the state. Fishing licenses may be purchased at any Fred Meyer or Carr's/Safeway grocery or local sporting goods store, or online at www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/buyonline. Nonresidents can buy an annual license for extended stays or a 1-, 3-, 7-, or 14-day permit. A separate king salmon stamp is required to fish for the big guys. Rainbow trout, arctic char, landlocked salmon, Dolly Varden, grayling, and northern pike are among the species found in waters like Jewel Lake in South Anchorage and Mirror and Fire lakes near Eagle River. Coho salmon return to Ship Creek (downtown) in August, and king salmon are caught there between late May and early July. Campbell Creek and Bird Creek just south of town are also good spots for coho—locally called silver—salmon. At times, Bird Creek has had some issues with local brown bears encroaching on anglers, so be bear aware if you fish or hike near there.
Alaska Department of Fish and Game. Contact the Alaska Department of Fish and Game for licensing information. For information about Anchorage-area lakes, go to the Web site; click on Sport Fishing, the South Central portion of the "Fisheries by Area" map, and then Anchorage. Anchorage, AK. 907/267-2218. www.adfg.alaska.gov.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $599 & up -- Balcony: 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Norwegian American Express Travel
- $299 & up -- 7-Night Alaska Cruise on Holland America — $299 American Express Travel
- $279 & up -- 7-Nt. Alaska Cruise on Princess from Vancouver — $279 American Express Travel