Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was the 20th pastor of this church that started in a slave trader’s pen in 1877. The humble, little, redbrick structure hardly signals its significant past. King directed initial civil rights activity in Montgomery, including the 1955–56 Montgomery bus boycott, from his church office. The church and parsonage, where King and his family lived between 1954 and 1960, are both open for tours. Church services happen each Sunday.