Kluane National Park and Reserve. The Kluane National Park and Reserve, about 170 km (100 mi) west of Whitehorse, has millions of acres for hiking. This is a completely roadless wilderness, with so many mountains over 14,000 feet that they haven't even bothered to name most of them, along with hundreds of glaciers. Together with the neighboring Wrangell-St. Elias National Park in Alaska and a couple smaller parks, this is the largest protected wilderness on the entire continent. The Visitor Center has a few short guided hikes, and it's easy to book flightseeing into the park in Haines Junction. Visitor Center, 119 Logan St., Haines Junction, YT, Y0B 1L0. 867/634-7207.
Yukon Conservation Society. The Yukon Conservation Society leads natural and historical hikes from July through August of varying lengths and difficulty. Whitehorse, YT. 867/668-5678. www.yukonconsevation.org.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe