- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Fairmont Le Château Montebello Review
Half way between Montreal and Ottawa, the Fairmont Le Château Montebello is an annual family destination for many well-heeled Canadians who love the log cabin construction and local flavor. Made of 10,000 red cedar logs, the main building is breathtaking, with a six-sided stone fireplace as the centerpiece. Every window seems positioned to offer a great view, especially in the dining areas, where menu items are often sourced locally. Kids are especially well-entertained, with pinball, pools, water sports, mountain bikes, and even a race track for remote-control cars. Bathrooms are small, but the rooms have a luxury feel. Christmas at the Montebello is very special.
Log Cabin Writ Large
Built the tradition of the "Great Camps"—like the Rockefeller's compound in the Adirondacks of New York state—Château Montebello is located in the woods between Ottawa and Montreal. Constructed from 10,000 red cedar logs, it sits in perfect harmony with its surroundings. An impressive six-sided stone fireplace is the centerpiece of this star-shaped structure and every window seems positioned to offer a great view, especially in the dining areas. In the kitchen, ingredients are locally sourced, vegetables and herbs are grown on the grounds, and Chef Serge Jost visits nearby farms for bison and prime rib. Kids are well entertained with a race track for remote-control cars, mountain bikes, and miniature golf.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $97-$127 -- Toronto 4-Diamond Hotel over Weekends, Save 60% Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off — $120 Novotel Toronto North York
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
i am so confused about quebec city. Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more