- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Fairmont Le Château Montebello Review
Half way between Montreal and Ottawa, the Fairmont Le Château Montebello is an annual family destination for many well-heeled Canadians who love the log cabin construction and local flavor. Made of 10,000 red cedar logs, the main building is breathtaking, with a six-sided stone fireplace as the centerpiece. Every window seems positioned to offer a great view, especially in the dining areas, where menu items are often sourced locally. Kids are especially well-entertained, with pinball, pools, water sports, mountain bikes, and even a race track for remote-control cars. Bathrooms are small, but the rooms have a luxury feel. Christmas at the Montebello is very special.
Log Cabin Writ Large
Built the tradition of the "Great Camps"—like the Rockefeller's compound in the Adirondacks of New York state—Château Montebello is located in the woods between Ottawa and Montreal. Constructed from 10,000 red cedar logs, it sits in perfect harmony with its surroundings. An impressive six-sided stone fireplace is the centerpiece of this star-shaped structure and every window seems positioned to offer a great view, especially in the dining areas. In the kitchen, ingredients are locally sourced, vegetables and herbs are grown on the grounds, and Chef Serge Jost visits nearby farms for bison and prime rib. Kids are well entertained with a race track for remote-control cars, mountain bikes, and miniature golf.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $135 -- Toronto 4-Diamond Stay w/Ticket to Any Toronto Event The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We'd love to go to a rodeo this summer while we are on our Canadian travels! Actually, anything that we might not do in the States (or Netherlands where the inlaws are coming from) would Read more
· News & Features
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant, ... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more