- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Astrolab du Mont-Mégantic (Mont-Mégantic's Observatory)
Astrolab du Mont-Mégantic (Mont-Mégantic's Observatory) Review
Both amateur stargazers and serious astronomers head to his observatory, located in a beautifully wild and mountainous area. The observatory is at the summit of the Townships' second-highest mountain (3,601 feet above sea level and 1,890 feet above the surrounding landscape), whose northern face records annual snowfalls rivaling any in North America. A joint venture of the University of Montréal and Laval University, the observatory has a powerful telescope, the largest on the East Coast. In the Astrolab at the welcome center at the mountain's base, you can view an exhibition and a multimedia show to learn about the night sky.
- Address: Parc Mégantic, 189 Rte. du Parc, Notre-Dame-des-Bois, QC J0B 2E0 | Map It
- Phone: 819/888–2941
- Cost: Observatory: C$11.25 during day, C$22.25 at night; Astrolab: C$14.75 during day, C$19.00 at night; additional C$6.50 to enter Parc Mégantic.
- Hours: Mid-May–mid-June, weekends noon–5; mid-June–late Aug., daily noon–4:30 and 8–11 pm; late Aug.–early Oct., weekends noon–4:30 and 7:30–10:30 pm.
- Website: www.astrolab-parc-national-mont-megantic.org
- Location: Notre-Dame-des-Bois
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
his is quite long - but I wanted to give as much detail as possible in hopes of being as helpful as you all were in the planning!! It's also way overdue. The trip was in June 2013 (admits embarrassingly). Read more
We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). Read more
My husband and I are not looking forward to an exhausting holiday season with what looks to be only work on the horizon. Nevertheless, we are making it a mission to get away, if even fo Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more