This wide boardwalk with an intricate wrought-iron guardrail has a panoramic view of the St. Lawrence River, the town of Lévis on the opposite shore, Île d'Orléans, the Laurentian Mountains to the north, and the edge of the Appalachians to the south. It was named for Lord Dufferin, governor of Canada between 1872 and 1878, who had this walkway constructed in 1878. Château St-Louis, whose remains can be seen under the walkway, was home to the governors from 1626 to 1834, when it was destroyed by fire. There are 90-minute tours of the fortifications that leave from here. The Promenade des Gouverneurs begins at the boardwalk's western end; the path skirts the cliff and leads up to Québec's highest point, Cap Diamant, and also to the Citadelle.
St-Louis Forts and Châteaux National Historic Site. Venture under the Terrasse Dufferin to see archaeological treasures from the official residence and power base of the French and British governors. Two-year excavations,
completed in 2007, unearthed objects from the first château, built under the direction of Governor Montmagny, to the time the Château St-Louis burned in 1834. Wine bottles, kitchenware—even remains of walls and doorframes—give clues to the luxurious life of the governors, who were among the most powerful men in the nation. Don't miss the guided tours and activities, such as chocolate tasting from a centuries-old recipe (details available at the kiosk on the Terrasse Dufferin). History buffs might consider attending one of the in-depth archaeology conferences held here. Terrasse Dufferin. 418/648–7016. www.pc.gc.ca. C$3.90. Late May–mid-Oct., daily 10–6.
Québec City, Québec, G1R 4P5, Canada