Architect Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy's crowning glory in the "Second Empire" style, this church was inspired by the facade of the Église de la Trinité in Paris and rivals the Our Lady of Québec Basilica in beauty and size. The first church on the site, built in 1847, burned in the 1881 fire that destroyed much of the neighborhood. Seven varieties of Italian marble were used in the soaring columns, statues, and pulpit of the present church, which dates from 1884. Its 36 stained-glass windows consist of 30 sections each, and the organ, like the church, is classified as a historic monument. From October to the beginning of June and outside regular opening hours, knock at the presbytery at 490 rue St-Jean to see the church.
400 rue St-Jean, St-Jean-Baptiste, Québec City, Québec, G1R 1P4, Canada