The first Anglican cathedral outside the British Isles was erected in the heart of Québec City's Upper Town between 1800 and 1804. Its simple, dignified facade is reminiscent of London's St. Martin-in-the-Fields, and the pediment, archway, and Ionic pilasters introduced Palladian architecture to Canada. The land on which the cathedral was built was originally given to the Récollets (Franciscan monks from France) in 1681 by the king of France for a church and monastery. When Québec came under British rule, the Récollets made the church available to the Anglicans for services. Later, King George III ordered construction of the present cathedral, with an area set aside for members of the royal family. A portion of the north balcony is still reserved for the use of the reigning sovereign or his or her representative. The church houses precious objects donated by George III, and numerous plaques honor distinguished members of the local English community. The cathedral's impressive rear organ has 3,058 pipes. Even more impressive is the smaller English Chamber Organ, built in 1790, which was donated to the cathedral for the Bicentenial Celebrations in 2004.
31 rue des Jardins, Québec City, Québec, G1R 4L6, Canada