- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Grosse Île National Park
Grosse Île National Park Review
For thousands of immigrants from Europe in the 1800s, the first glimpse of North America was the hastily erected quarantine station at Grosse Île—Canada's equivalent of Ellis Island. During the time Grosse Île operated (1832-1937), 4.3 million immigrants passed through the port of Québec. For far too many passengers on plague-racked ships, particularly the Irish fleeing the potato famine, Grosse Île became a final resting place. Several buildings have been restored to tell the story of the tragic period of Irish immigration. It's necessary to take a boat tour or ferry to visit the park, and you should reserve in advance.
Croisières Lachance. Croisières Lachance runs a ferry that departs from Berthier-sur-Mer to Grosse Île for C$49.50, which includes admission to the island. From Québec City, head south on the Pont Pierre-Laporte (Pierre Laporte Bridge) and follow Autoroute 20 east for about an hour to Berthier-sur-Mer. Follow the signs to the marina. 888/476-7734. www.croisiereslachance.ca.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Book Le Germain-Dominion 3 Nts in May Fr $302+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Auberge Saint-Antoine Fr $335+/Nt Expedia
- Sail to Quebec City with Holland America Line, 14 Nts Fr $699 Expedia
- $22.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Quebec Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Le Champlain Fr $179+/Nt — $179 Save with Hotels.com, $24/night less
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We will be flying from NYC to Somewhere in Quebec for the last two weeks in August. The kids are 7 and 12. We want off the beaten path. I was thinking Gaspe and the islands, or perhaps Tadoussac...I Read more
· News & Features
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa... Read more
Heading to Montreal or Quebec City for some French culture without setting foot off the continent?... Read more