- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2014
Morrin Cultural Centre
Morrin Cultural Centre Review
This stately gray-stone building has served many purposes, from imprisoning and executing criminals to storing the national archives. Built between 1808 and 1813, it was the first modern prison in Canada. Two blocks of half a dozen cells remain intact and are open to visitors. The scaffold used to hang criminals is long gone.
When the jail closed in 1868, the building was converted into Morrin College, one of the city's first private schools, and the Literary and Historical Society of Québec moved in. Founded in 1824, this forerunner of Canada's National Archives operates an active lending library and has a superb collection that includes some of the first books printed in North America. The college is no longer in operation, but historical and cultural talks are held in English, and tours of the building are available. Don't miss the Victorian-era library and College Hall.
- Address: 44 rue Chaussée des Ecossais, Upper Town, Québec City, QC G1R 4H3 | Map It
- Phone: 418/694–9147
- Cost: Library free; guided tours C$8
- Hours: Library: Sun., Wed., Fri. noon–4, Tues., Thurs. noon–8. Sat. 10–4. Guided tours in English late May–early Sept., Mon.–Sat. 11 and 3, Sun. 1:30. Tours for groups by arrangement.
- Website: www.morrin.org
- Location: Upper Town
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
On September 24, my husband and I drove from New York to Montreal for a ten day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. Read more
Just returned yesterday from a great two-day visit to Montréal. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
Québec's capital offers the perfect weekend getaway for Francophiles seeking a bit o ... Read more
Your days in Quebec City could easily be filled with monuments, museums, and charming neighborhoods.... Read more
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa... Read more