Québec City Sights

Advertisement

Guidebooks

Séminaire de Québec

Séminaire de Québec Review

Behind iron gates, next to the Notre-Dame-de-Québec cathedral, lies a tranquil courtyard surrounded by austere stone buildings with rising steeples; these structures have housed classrooms and student residences since 1663. François de Montmorency Laval, the first bishop of New France, founded Québec Seminary to train priests in the new colony. In 1852 the seminary gave birth to Université Laval, the first francophone university in North America. In the 1950s the university moved to a larger campus in suburban Ste-Foy.

Today priests still live on the premises, and Laval's architecture school occupies part of the building. The on-site Musée de l'Amérique Française gives tours of the seminary grounds and the interior in summer. Tours start from the museum, at 2 côte de la Fabrique. The small Second Empire–style Chapelle Extérieure, at the west entrance of the seminary, was built in 1888 after fire destroyed the 1750 original. Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy designed the chapel; its interior is patterned after that of the Église de la Trinité in Paris.

    Contact Information

  • Address: 1 côte de la Fabrique, Upper Town, Québec City, QC G1R 5L7 | Map It
  • Phone: 418/692–2843; 866/710–8031
  • Cost: C$7; free Tues., Nov.–Mar.
  • Hours: Tours late June–Labor Day, daily 9:30–5; Sept.–late June, daily 10–5.
  • Location: Upper Town
Updated: 08-12-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

Travel Deals in Québec City

View all travel deals
* Some taxes, fees additional

View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories