- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2014
Basilique Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec (Our Lady of Québec Basilica Cathedral)
Basilique Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Québec (Our Lady of Québec Basilica Cathedral) Review
François de Laval, the first bishop of New France, and his successors once ruled a diocese that stretched all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Laval's original cathedral burned down and has been rebuilt several times, but the current basilica still has a chancel lamp that was a gift from Louis XIV, the Sun King.
The church's ornate interior includes a canopy dais over the episcopal throne, a ceiling of painted clouds decorated with gold leaf, and richly colored stained-glass windows. The large crypt was Québec City's first cemetery; more than 900 bodies are interred here, including 20 bishops and four governors of New France. Samuel de Champlain may be buried near the basilica: archaeologists have been searching for his tomb since 1950. There are information panels that allow you to read about the history of this church. If you prefer, guided tours of the cathedral and crypt (by appointment only) are also available. The Centre d'animation François-de-Laval uses videos and pictures to illustrate the life of Québec's first bishop and founder of Canada's Catholic Church.
- Address: 16 rue de Buade, Upper Town, Québec City, QC G1R 4A1 | Map It
- Phone: 418/692–2533 church
- Cost: Basilica free, guided tour C$3
- Hours: Oct.–May, daily 7:30–4; June–Sept. 7:30–8:30; guided tours May–Oct., upon reservation Nov.–Apr.
- Website: notredamedequebec.org
- Location: Upper Town
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
On September 24, my husband and I drove from New York to Montreal for a ten day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. Read more
Just returned yesterday from a great two-day visit to Montréal. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
Québec's capital offers the perfect weekend getaway for Francophiles seeking a bit o ... Read more
Your days in Quebec City could easily be filled with monuments, museums, and charming neighborhoods.... Read more
Before Beyoncé went into Blue Ivy baby-momma mode, Destiny’s Child taught the world an importa... Read more