Rafting in Québec City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Just outside the city, the Jacques-Cartier River (to the west) and Riviére Malbaie (to the east) both make for an easy white-water rafting day-trip.
Excursions Jacques-Cartier. This outfitter runs rafting trips on the Jacques-Cartier River, about 48 km (30 miles) northwest of Québec City, from May through October. Tours originate from Tewkesbury, a half-hour drive from Québec City. A half-day trip ranges from C$58 per person on weekdays to C$78 on weekends, wet suits included. Horseback riding is also available. 860 av. Jacques-Cartier Nord, Tewkesbury, QC, G3C 1X8. 418/848–7238. www.excursionsj-cartier.com.
Village Vacances Valcartier. This center runs rafting excursions on the Jacques Cartier River from May through September. A three-hour excursion costs roughly C$50 plus C$16 to rent a wet suit. Also available are hydro-speeding—running the rapids on surfboards—and quieter family river tours. 1860, boul. Valcartier, Valcartier, QC, G0A 4S0. 418/844–2200 or 888/384–5524. www.valcartier.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe