- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
The Latin Quarter
The Latin Quarter (Quartier Latin), just south of the Plateau, has been a center of student life since the 18th century, when Université de Montréal students gave the area its name, and today it continues to infuse the city with youthful energy. When night falls, its streets are filled with multinational hordes—young and not so young, rich and poor, established and still studying.
The Université de Québec à Montréal (UQAM) spreads across the district, along with theaters, restaurants and bars, bookstores, and cinemas. Some area businesses cater to a young clientele and their penchant for the loud and flashy, but the quarter is also home to some of the city's trendiest restaurants and nightspots. In summer, the streets of the Latin Quarter are busy with summer festival events, such as the Just for Laughs Festival in July.
The Latin Quarter at a Glance
Elsewhere in Montréal
- Downtown and the Golden Square Mile
- The Islands
- Little Italy
- Mile End
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's