- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Schwartz's Delicatessen Review
Schwartz's has no frills. The furniture's shabby, the noise level high, and the waiters are—well, trying harder to be pleasant these days. The cooks do such a good job of curing, smoking, and slicing beef brisket that even when it's 20 below zero locals line up outside to get a seat at the city's most famous deli and order a sandwich thick enough to dislocate jaws. Fodorites agree, it's worth the wait for the famous smoked meat. Both Angelina Jolie and Halle Berry couldn't resist the medium-fat sandwich on rye. Avoid lunch and dinner hours, and when you do get in, don't ask for a menu; there isn't one. Just order a smoked meat on rye with fries and a side order of pickles. If you're in a rush, use the take-out counter next door.
- Address: 3895 boul. St-Laurent, Plateau Mont-Royal, Montréal, QC, H2W 1X9 | Map It
- Phone: 514/842-4813
- Hours: Sun.--Thurs. 8 am--12:30 am; Fri. 8 am--1:30 am; Sat. 8 am--2:30 am
- Website: www.schwartzsdeli.com
- Metro Sherbrooke.
- Location: The Plateau, Outremont, Mile End, and Little Italy
- Reservations not accepted.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Discover Montreal with AirCanada! 23 Routes From $296 DealBase
- May deal: Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth Fr $258+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- Super Low Montreal Rate: Book Fr $182+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $31/night less
- St-Denis Biggest Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $582 Expedia
- $11.95 & up : Compact rentals in Montreal Hotwire
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
We recently traveled to Quebec City and stayed at a B&B in Levis, CA, which is across the river from Quebec City. Read more
We'd love to go to a rodeo this summer while we are on our Canadian travels! Actually, anything that we might not do in the States (or Netherlands where the inlaws are coming from) would Read more
· News & Features
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more
North America may be slow on the bike sharing uptake, but the rest of the world has already fallen fo... Read more