- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2014
Schwartz's Delicatessen Review
Schwartz's has no frills and could use a decor update, but that's all really beside the point because eating here is all about the thick sandwiches. The cooks do such a good job of curing, smoking, and slicing beef brisket that even when it's 20 below zero, locals don't mind lining up to get a seat at the city's most famous deli. Fodorites agree, it's worth the wait for the smoked meat sandwich on rye, with fries. Both Angelina Jolie and Halle Berry couldn't resist the medium-fat sandwich. Try to avoid lunch and dinner hours, as the wait is long. If you're in a rush, use the takeout counter next door.
- Address: 3895 boul. St-Laurent, The Plateau, Montréal, QC H2W 1X9 | Map It
- Phone: 514/842–4813
- Hours: Sun.–Thurs. 8 am–12:30 am; Fri. 8 am–1:30 am; Sat. 8 am–2:30 am
- Website: www.schwartzsdeli.com
- Metro Sherbrooke.
- Location: The Plateau
- Reservations not accepted.
- No credit cards.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
On September 24, my husband and I drove from New York to Montreal for a ten day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. Read more
Just returned yesterday from a great two-day visit to Montréal. Read more
We are planning to take a 14 day vacation to Quebec in the beginning of July. Read more
· News & Features
Winter in Montréal can be brutal—and beautiful. ... Read more
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more