La Ronde Review
Every year, it seems, La Ronde amusement park adds some new and monstrous way to scare the living daylights (and perhaps your lunch as well) out of you. The most recent addition, is Vol Ultime, an extreme tower ride that will hoist you up a full 148 feet—as high as a 15-story building—where it will then mercilessly spin you around at a speed of 60 km (37 miles) an hour. It began terrifying people in May 2012, joining such other stomach-turning champions as the the Ednor, the Goliath, the Vampire, and the Monstre. For the less daring, there are Ferris wheels, boat rides, and kiddie rides. The popular International Fireworks Competition is held here weekends and a couple of weeknights in late June and July.
- Address: 22 chemin Macdonald, (eastern end of Île Ste-Hélène), Île Ste-Hélène, Montréal, QC, H3C 6A3 | Map It
- Phone: 514/397–2000; 800/361–4595
- Cost: C$52.99. C$42.99 if purchased online.
- Hours: Late May, weekends 11–7; early June–late June, daily 10–8; late June–late Aug., daily 11–10; Sept., weekends 10–7; Oct., Fri. 5 pm–9 pm, Sat. noon–9, Sun. noon–8. Open later on nights when there are fireworks.
- Website: www.laronde.com/larondeen
- Subway: Jean-Drapeau
- Location: The Islands