- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel)
Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel) Review
Mariners have been popping into Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours for centuries to kneel before a little 17th-century statue of the Virgin Mary and pray for a safe passage—or give thanks for one. Often, they've expressed their gratitude by leaving votive lamps in the shape of small ships, many of which still hang from the barrel-vaulted ceiling. This is why most Montrealers call the chapel the Église des Matelots (the Sailors' Church), and why many still stop by to say a prayer and light a candle before leaving on a long trip.
These days, the statue of Our Lady of Perpetual Help guards the remains of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys, who had the original chapel built in 1657 and is entombed in the side altar next to the east wall of the chapel. The current chapel dates from 1771; a renovation project in 1998 revealed some beautiful 18th-century murals that had been hidden under layers of paint.
The steep climb to the top of the steeple is worth the effort for the glorious view of the harbor, as is the equally steep climb down to the archaeological excavations under the chapel for a glimpse into the history of the chapel and the neighborhood. The dig is accessible through the adjacent Musée Marguerite Bourgeoys, which also has exhibits on the life of St. Marguerite and the daily lives of the colonists she served. The chapel is closed mid-January through February except for the 10:30 am mass on Sunday.
- Address: 400 rue St-Paul Est, Old Montréal, Montréal, QC H2Y 1H4 | Map It
- Phone: 514/282-8670
- Cost: Museum C$10, museum plus archaeology site with guide C$12
- Hours: May--Oct., Tues.--Sun. 10--6; Nov.--mid-Jan., Mar. and Apr., Tues.--Sun. 11--4
- Website: www.marguerite-bourgeoys.com
- Metro Champ-de-Mars.
- Location: Old Montréal (Vieux-Montréal)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- CA$169-$197 -- Downtown Montreal Hotel incl. Breakfast Residence Inn Montreal Downtown
- $150 & up -- Old Montreal 4-Diamond Hotel, 40% Off Le Westin Montreal
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- $115* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Boston (One Way) — $115 Air Canada
Didn't find much info/tips for this event weekend so thought I'd post a quick one for future lurkers. Read more
We spent a delightful week this October in Canada and I thought it would be nice to share given the limited number of postings for both Montreal and Quebec City.
First, let me say that this trip was i Read more
Okay, my fiancee and I were originally planning a honeymoon to Greece or Italy, but our costs have overrun on our wedding (common thing I hear) and so I figured to cut back on the price of our honeymoo Read more
· News & Features
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i ... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more