Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel)
Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours (Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel) Review
Mariners have been popping into Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours for centuries to kneel before a little 17th-century statue of the Virgin Mary and pray for a safe passage—or give thanks for one. Often, they've expressed their gratitude by leaving votive lamps in the shape of small ships, many of which still hang from the barrel-vaulted ceiling. This is why most Montrealers call the chapel the Église des Matelots (the Sailors' Church), and why many people still stop by to say a prayer and light a candle before leaving on a long trip.
These days, the statue of Our Lady of Perpetual Help guards the remains of St. Marguerite Bourgeoys, who had the original chapel built in 1657 and is entombed in the side altar next to the east wall of the chapel. The current chapel dates from 1771; a renovation project in 1998 revealed some beautiful 18th-century murals that had been hidden under layers of paint.
The steep climb to the top of the steeple is worth the effort for the glorious view of the harbor, as is the equally steep climb down to the archaeological excavations under the chapel for a glimpse into the history of the chapel and the neighborhood. The dig is accessible through the adjacent Musée Marguerite Bourgeoys, which also has exhibits on the life of St. Marguerite and the daily lives of the colonists she served. The chapel is closed mid-January through February except for the 10:30 am mass on Sunday.
- Address: 400 rue St-Paul Est, Old Montréal, Montréal, QC, H2Y 1H4 | Map It
- Phone: 514/282–8670
- Cost: Museum C$10
- Hours: May–mid-Oct., Tues.–Sun. 10–5:30; mid-Oct.–mid-Jan., Mar., and Apr., Tues.–Sun. 11–3:30
- Website: www.marguerite-bourgeoys.com
- Subway: Champ-de-Mars
- Location: Old Montréal (Vieux-Montréal)
View deals in Montreal for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More