- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Église de la Visitation de la Bienheureuse Vierge Marie
Église de la Visitation de la Bienheureuse Vierge Marie Review
The oldest church on the island, the Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary had its stone walls raised in the 1750s, and the beautifully proportioned Palladian front was added in 1850. Decorating lasted from 1764 until 1837, with stunning results. The altar and the pulpit are as ornate as wedding cakes but still delicate. The church's most notable treasure is a rendering of the Visitation attributed to Pierre Mignard, a painter at the 17th-century court of Louis XIV. Parkland surrounds the church, and the nearby Îles de la Visitation (reachable by footbridge) make for a very good walk. You have to ride the métro to its northern terminus at the Henri-Bourassa station, and then walk for 15–20 minutes through some pretty ordinary neighborhoods to reach this church, but it's worth the trek.
- Address: 1847 blvd. Gouin Est, Montreal North, Montréal, QC H2C 1C8 | Map It
- Phone: 514/388–4050
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Fri.–Wed. 8–noon and 1–3. Closed Thurs.
- Metro Henri-Bourassa.
- Location: The Plateau, Outremont, Mile End, and Little Italy
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
his is quite long - but I wanted to give as much detail as possible in hopes of being as helpful as you all were in the planning!! It's also way overdue. The trip was in June 2013 (admits embarrassingly). Read more
We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). Read more
My wife and I want to come to the Just for Laughs festival in July. Read more
· News & Features
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more
Whether it's a bachelorette party or a gaggle of girls who are looking to get away, we've got just the... Read more