- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City 2014
Musée d'Archéologie et d'Histoire Pointe-à-Callière (Pointe-à-Callière Archaeology and History Museum)
Musée d'Archéologie et d'Histoire Pointe-à-Callière (Pointe-à-Callière Archaeology and History Museum) Review
The modern glass building is impressive, and the audiovisual show is a breezy romp through Montréal's history from the Ice Age to the present, but the real reason to visit the city's most ambitious archaeological museum is to take the elevator ride down to the 17th century.
It's dark down there, and just a little creepy thanks to the 350-year-old tombstones teetering in the gloom, but it's worth the trip. This is a serious archaeological dig that takes you to the very foundations of the city. You begin on the banks of the long-vanished Rivière St-Pierre, where the first settlers built their homes and traded with the First Nations inhabitants. From there you climb up toward the present, past the stone foundations of an 18th-century tavern and a 19th-century insurance building. Along the way, filmed figures representing past inhabitants appear on ghostly screens to chat to you about their life and times. A more lighthearted exhibit explores life and love in multicultural Montréal. For a spectacular view of the Old Port, the St. Lawrence River, and the Islands, ride the elevator to the top of the tower, or stop for lunch in the museum's glass-fronted café.
In summer there are re-creations of period fairs and festivals on the grounds near the museum.
- Address: 350 pl. Royale, Old Montréal, Montréal, QC H2Y 3Y5 | Map It
- Phone: 514/872–9150
- Cost: C$20
- Hours: late June–early Sept., weekdays 10–6, weekends 11–6; early Sept.–late June, Tues.–Fri. 10–5, weekends 11–5
- Website: www.pacmuseum.qc.ca
- Metro Place-d'Armes.
- Location: Old Montréal (Vieux-Montréal)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
On September 24, my husband and I drove from New York to Montreal for a ten day trip to Montreal and Quebec City. Read more
Just returned yesterday from a great two-day visit to Montréal. Read more
We are planning to take a 14 day vacation to Quebec in the beginning of July. Read more
· News & Features
Winter in Montréal can be brutal—and beautiful. ... Read more
Summer is the best time to explore Canada's expanses by car—the snow is gone, wildflowers are i... Read more
Nothing is as hot in Canada in wintertime as the Montreal en Lumiere festival.... Read more