- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The 13-km (8-mi) Confederation Bridge connects Cape Jourimain, in New Brunswick, with Borden-Carleton, PEI. The crossing takes about 12 minutes. The toll is about $42.50 per car and $7 for each additional axle, collected when you leave the Island. There is a minimum of public transportation on the Island, so having your own vehicle is almost a necessity. There are more than 3,700 km (2,300 mi) of paved road in the province, including the three scenic coastal drives: North Cape Coastal Drive, Central Coastal Drive, and Points East Coastal Drive. A helpful highway map of the province is available from Tourism PEI and at visitor centers on the Island.
Designated Heritage Roads are surfaced with red clay, the local soil base. These unpaved roads meander through rural and undeveloped areas, where you're likely to see lots of wildflowers and birds. A four-wheel-drive vehicle isn't necessary, but in spring and inclement weather the mud can get quite deep, and the narrow roads become impassable. Keep an eye open for bicycles, motorcycles, and pedestrians.
Confederation Bridge (902/437—7300 or 888/437-6565. www.confederationbridge.com.)
Motorcycle Prince Edward Island (www.motorcyclepei.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off — $156 Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire