- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Summerside, the second-largest city on PEI, has a beautiful waterfront area with a beach and boardwalk in the west end, and is well known for its lobster festival, though fine dining options are not easily found. A number of buildings in Summerside have murals painted on them, most depicting historical events. The Confederation Trail passes through the city, and the former railway station makes an excellent starting point for walking or biking excursions.
It takes about a half hour to drive by car from Summerside to major attractions such as Cavendish in the central region of Prince Edward Island.
PEI Segway Tours. PEI Segway Tours puts a different spin on two-wheeling fun. One- and two-hour tours ($39 and $69 respectively) depart daily from the Spinnakers' Landing Lighthouse. 150 Harbor Dr., Summerside, PE, C1N 5Y8. 902/436–1883. www.peisegway.com.
Summerside at a Glance
- Acadian Museum (Musée Acadien)
- Bishop's Machine Shop
- Eptek Art and Culture Centre
- International Fox Museum and Hall of Fame
Elsewhere in Prince Edward Island
- Basin Head
- Bay Fortune
- Brackley Beach
- Greenwich (P.E.I. National Park)
- Malpeque Bay and around
- New London and Stanley Bridge
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's