Prince Edward Island Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Who is Anne, anyway?
Well, the first thing to remember is that it's Anne, spelled with an "e"—not Ann.
In Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic novel, first published in 1908, Marilla Cuthbert and her brother Matthew live on a farm in Prince Edward Island. They're getting on in years and decide to adopt an orphan boy to help out with the chores. It's with some surprise, then, that Matthew comes back from the train station with a feisty, 11-year-old, redheaded girl, but it's not long before Anne—and her adventures and mishaps and friends—becomes an essential part of Marilla and Mathew's lives. L. M. Montgomery went on to write a total of eight books in the series, including Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island.
Anne of Green Gables was made into a two-part television movie in 1985, starring Megan Follows. It was a huge success, airing first on the CBC in Canada, and then on PBS in the United States. It was followed by a television series that ran from 1990 to 1996.
The top Anne of Green Gables sites and experiences in PEI are all in the Cavendish area and include Green Gables, the Site of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Cavendish Home, Avonlea—Village of Anne of Green Gables, the Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace, and the Anne of Green Gables Museum at Silver Bush. The Anne of Green Gables musical at the Confederation Centre in Charlottetown is a must-see, too, as well as Anne and Gilbert, although the latter may not be in long run like the former.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $99 -- Ottawa Hotel This Summer incl. Breakfast, 40% Off Quality Hotel Downtown Ottawa
- CA$169-$197 -- Downtown Montreal Hotel incl. Breakfast Residence Inn Montreal Downtown
- $349 & up -- 5-Night Pacific Coast Cruise on Norwegian Norwegian Cruise Line
- $239* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Cleveland (One Way) — $239 Air Canada