- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This beach is noted for exquisite silvery sand that stretches northeast for miles, backed by high grassy dunes. The lovely sand beach has been "discovered," but it's still worth spending some time here. If you scuff your feet in the sand you'll hear it squeak, squawk, and purr; known locally as "singing sand," it's a phenomenon found in only a few locations worldwide produced by the sand's high silica content.
A boardwalk leads from the Basin Head Fisheries Museum at the top of the hill down to the beach area.
Paradise on the Sea Adventures. This outfitter will lead you on a seafood hunt, involving snorkeling for bar clams with a little mackerel fishing and a lot of eating thrown in for good measure. Full-day tours cost C$105. Bluefin tuna charters are also offered. 118 Breakwater St., Souris Marina, Souris, PE, C0A 2B0. 902/969–7727. peitunafishing.ca.
Basin Head at a Glance
Elsewhere in Prince Edward Island
- Bay Fortune
- Brackley Beach
- Greenwich (P.E.I. National Park)
- Malpeque Bay and around
- New London and Stanley Bridge
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's