- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Toronto does not have any unique health concerns. It is safe to drink tap water. Pollution in the city is generally rated Good to Moderate on the international Air Quality Index. Smog advisories are listed by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment at www.airqualityontario.com.
Consider buying trip insurance with medical-only coverage. Neither Medicare nor some private insurers cover medical expenses anywhere outside of the United States. Medical-only policies typically reimburse you for medical care (excluding that related to preexisting conditions) and hospitalization abroad, and provide for evacuation. You still have to pay the bills and await reimbursement from the insurer, though.
Another option is to sign up with a medical-evacuation assistance company. A membership in one of these companies gets you doctor referrals, emergency evacuation or repatriation, 24-hour hotlines for medical consultation, and other assistance. International SOS Assistance Emergency and AirMed International provide evacuation services and medical referrals. MedjetAssist offers medical evacuation.
Medical Assistance Companies
AirMed International (www.airmed.com.)
International SOS Assistance Emergency (www.internationalsos.com.)
International Medical Group (www.imglobal.com.)
International SOS (www.internationalsos.com.)
Wallach & Company (www.wallach.com.)
OTC medications available in Canada are nearly identical to those available in the United States. In some cases, brand names are different, but you'll recognize common brands like Tylenol, Midol, and Advil. Nonprescription medications can be found at drugstores and in some grocery and convenience stores.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $155 -- Chic Toronto Hotel through June, Save 30% Novotel Toronto Centre
- CA$169-$179 -- 4-Diamond Toronto Hotel near Eaton Centre Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- CA$139 -- Toronto Hotel in Trendy Yorkville, $70 Off — $139 Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel