- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Taxis can be hailed on the street, but if you need to make an appointment (e.g., for an early-morning airport run) or if you are in a residential neighborhood, it's necessary to call ahead. Taxi stands are rare and usually only at hotels and at the airport.
Taxi fares are C$4 for the first 0.155 km and C25¢ for each 31 seconds not in motion and for each additional 0.155 kilometers. A C$0.25 surcharge is added for each passenger in excess of four. The average fare to take a cab across downtown is C$8–C$9, plus a roughly 15% tip, when the traffic is flowing normally. The largest companies are Beck, Co-op, Diamond, Metro, and Royal.
Call 416/829-4222 to be connected to one of many taxi companies for free via an automated system.
Beck (416/751-5555 or 877/883-2325. www.becktaxi.com.)
Co-op (416/504-2667 or 877/471-4023. www.co-opcabs.com.)
Diamond (416/366-6868. www.diamondtaxi.ca.)
Royal (416/777-9222. www.royaltaxi.ca.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe