Almost a city unto itself, U of T has a staff and student population of around 60,000. The institution dates to 1827, when King George IV signed a charter for a "King's College in the Town of York, Capital of Upper Canada." The Church of England had control then, but by 1850 the college was proclaimed nondenominational, renamed the University of Toronto, and put under the control of the province. Then, in a spirit of Christian competition, the Anglicans started Trinity College, the Methodists began Victoria, and the Roman Catholics began St. Michael's; by the time the Presbyterians founded Knox College, the whole thing was a bit out of hand. Now the 10 schools and faculties are united, and they welcome anyone who can meet the admission standards and afford the tuition, which, thanks to government funding, is still somewhat reasonable. The architecture is interesting, if uneven, as one might expect on a campus that's been built in bits and pieces over 150 years.