This 1920 vaudeville theater has had a chequered history—it was chopped up into six cinemas in the '70s—and has had numerous names over the year, including the Pantages, the Imperial, and most recently the Canon. Now named after local businessman and theatre impressario Ed Mirvish, the theater is one of the most architecturally and acoustically exciting live theaters in Toronto. Today it hosts big-budget musicals, such as Wicked and Billy Elliot, and occasional short runs by dance troupes and other performances. The theater itself is one of the most beautiful in the world and was refurbished in 1989 in preparation for the Canadian debut of The Phantom of the Opera, Canada's longest-running stage musical, which closed in 1999. Designed by world-renowned theater architect Thomas Lamb, it has columns, a grand staircase, gold-leaf detailing, and crystal chandeliers.