- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Toronto Zoo Review
With its varied terrain, from river valley to dense forest, the Rouge Valley was an inspired choice of site for this 710-acre zoo in which mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish are grouped according to their natural habitats. Enclosed, climate-controlled pavilions have botanical exhibits, such as the Africa pavilion's giant baobab tree. Look over an Events Guide, distributed at the main entrance, to help plan your day; activities might include chats with animal keepers and animal and bird demonstrations. An "Around the World Tour" takes approximately three hours and includes the Africa, Americas, Australasia, Indo-Malayan, and "Canadian Domain" pavilions. From late April through early September, the Zoomobile can take you through the outdoor exhibit area.
From 2013 until 2018, Er Shun and Da Mao, a pair of Chinese pandas, will call the Toronto Zoo their home. Should there be any offspring during their stay, the zoo will adopt the babies until they're old enough to leave their birth home. In addition to viewing the couple up close, the brand-new Panda Interpretive Centre is also worth exploring.
The African Savanna is the country's finest walking safari, a dynamic reproduction that brings rare and beautiful animals and distinctive geological landscapes to the city's doorstep. You can also dine in the Savanna's Safari Lodge and camp overnight in the Serengeti Bush Camp (reservations required). The zoo is a 30-minute drive east from downtown.
- Address: Meadowvale Rd., Exit 389 off Hwy. 401 Outlying Suburbs, Scarborough, ON M1B 5K7 | Map It
- Phone: 416/392–5929; 416/392–5947 for camping reservations
- Cost: C$28, parking C$10
- Hours: May–Aug., daily 9–7; Sept. and Oct. daily 9–6; Nov.–Apr. daily 9:30–4:30
- Website: www.torontozoo.com
- Metro Kennedy, then bus 86A or Don Mills, then bus 85.
- Location: Outlying Suburbs
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
While the temperature is dropping in Toronto, the city's bar scene is just heating up. ... Read more
East to West Coast, and Paris to the Vegas Strip, we've got the summertime guide for you.... Read more
Toronto has always been one of our northern neighbor's hot-spots for art, music, food, and nightlife,... Read more