- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Casa Loma Review
A European-style castle, Casa Loma was commissioned by Sir Henry Pellatt, a soldier and financier. This grand display of extravagance has 98 rooms, two towers, creepy passageways, and lots of secret panels. The home's architect, E. J. Lennox, also designed Toronto's Old City Hall and the King Edward Hotel. Pellatt spent more than C$3 million to construct his dream (that's in 1913 dollars), only to lose his house to the tax man just over a decade later. Some impressive details are the giant pipe organ; the reproduction of Windsor Castle's Peacock Alley; the majestic, 60-foot-high ceiling of the Great Hall; the mahogany-and-marble stable, reached by a long, underground passage; and the extensive, 5-acre estate gardens (open May–October). The rooms are copies of those in English, Spanish, Scottish, and Austrian castles. This has been the location for many a horror movie and period drama, an episode of the BBC's Antiques Roadshow, and several Hollywood blockbusters, including Chicago and X-Men. Included in the admission price are a self-guided audio tour (available in eight languages) and a docudrama about Pellatt's life. A tour of Casa Loma is a good 1½-km (1-mile) walk, so wear sensible shoes. And if you're traveling with young children, note strollers must be left on the first floor.
- Address: 1 Austin Terr., The Annex, Toronto, ON M5R 1X8 | Map It
- Phone: 416/923–1171
- Cost: C$20.55
- Hours: Daily 9:30–5, last admission at 4
- Website: www.casaloma.org
- Metro Dupont.
- Location: Queen's Park, The Annex, Yorkville, and Little Italy
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
A friend let me know she knows someone who will be visiting Toronto during Christmas. Read more
· News & Features
East to West Coast, and Paris to the Vegas Strip, we've got the summertime guide for you.... Read more
Toronto has always been one of our northern neighbor's hot-spots for art, music, food, and nightlife,... Read more
New Yorker, Michelin-rated Chef, Frenchman, and father, Daniel Boulud knows where to find great food,... Read more