- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Tommy Thompson Park
Tommy Thompson Park Review
This park comprises a peninsula that juts 5 km (3 miles) into Lake Ontario. It was created from the sand dredged for a new port of entry and the landfill of a hundred skyscrapers (trucks still dump landfill here Monday to Friday). It has quickly become one of the best areas in the city for cycling, jogging, walking, sailing, photography, and, especially, bird-watching. The strange, artificial peninsula is home (or stopover) to the largest colony of ring-billed seagulls in the world and dozens of species of terns, ducks, geese, and snowy egrets. At the end of the spit, you'll find a red-and-white lighthouse, in addition to amazing views of downtown and an awesome sense of isolation in nature. Bird-watching is best from mid-May to mid-October. To get here, head east along Queen Street to Leslie Street, then south to the lake. No private vehicles are permitted in the park.
- Address: Entrance at the foot of Leslie St., south of Lakeshore Blvd. East Leslieville, Toronto, ON
- Phone: 416/661–6600 Ext. 5770
- Hours: Weekends Apr.–Nov., daily 9–6; Dec.–Mar., daily 9–4:30
- Website: www.tommythompsonpark.ca
- Metro Queen, then streetcar 501 east.
- Location: Leslieville
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
My friends and are getting close to graduation, and have begun plotting out our graduation present to ourselves - a roadtrip. Read more
· News & Features
While the temperature is dropping in Toronto, the city's bar scene is just heating up. ... Read more
East to West Coast, and Paris to the Vegas Strip, we've got the summertime guide for you.... Read more
Toronto has always been one of our northern neighbor's hot-spots for art, music, food, and nightlife,... Read more