- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Black Creek Pioneer Village
Black Creek Pioneer Village Review
Less than a half-hour drive from downtown is a rural, mid-19th-century living-history-museum village that makes you feel as though you've gone through a time warp. Black Creek Pioneer Village is a collection of 40 buildings from the 19th and early-20th centuries, including a town hall, a weaver's shop, a printing shop, a blacksmith's shop, and a school complete with a dunce cap. The mill dates from the 1840s and has a 4-ton wooden waterwheel that grinds up to a hundred barrels of flour a day (bags are available for purchase).
As men and women in period costumes go about the daily routine of mid-19th-century Ontario life, they explain what they're doing and answer questions. Visitors can see farm animals; take free wagon rides, Victorian dance classes, and 19th-century baseball lessons; and explore a hands-on discovery center. There's a great brewery-restaurant for lunch or afternoon tea (reservation required). In winter you can also skate, toboggan, or hop on a sleigh ride.
- Address: 1000 Murray Ross Pkwy., near the intersection of Jane St. and Steeles Ave. Outlying Suburbs, North York, ON M3J 2P3 | Map It
- Phone: 416/736–1733
- Cost: C$15, parking C$7
- Hours: May and June, weekdays 9:30–4, weekends 11–5; July and Aug., weekdays 10–5, weekends 11–5; Sept.–Dec., weekdays 9:30–4, weekends 11–4:30
- Website: www.blackcreek.ca
- Metro Finch, then bus 60 west or Jane, then bus 35.
- Location: Greater Toronto
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
Just moved to Toronto, and looking for ideas for quick day trips around the area to get an idea of our new neighbourhood. Read more
· News & Features
East to West Coast, and Paris to the Vegas Strip, we've got the summertime guide for you. ... Read more
Toronto has always been one of our northern neighbor's hot-spots for art, music, food, and nightlife,... Read more
New Yorker, Michelin-rated Chef, Frenchman, and father, Daniel Boulud knows where to find great food,... Read more