- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Black Creek Pioneer Village
Black Creek Pioneer Village Review
Less than a half-hour drive from downtown is a rural, mid-19th-century living-history-museum village that makes you feel as though you've gone through a time warp. Black Creek Pioneer Village is a collection of 40 buildings from the 19th and early-20th centuries, including a town hall, a weaver's shop, a printing shop, a blacksmith's shop, and a school complete with a dunce cap. The mill dates from the 1840s and has a 4-ton wooden waterwheel that grinds up to a hundred barrels of flour a day (bags are available for purchase).
As men and women in period costumes go about the daily routine of mid-19th-century Ontario life, they explain what they're doing and answer questions. Visitors can see farm animals; take free wagon rides, Victorian dance classes, and 19th-century baseball lessons; and explore a hands-on discovery center. There's a great brewery-restaurant for lunch or afternoon tea (reservation required). In winter you can also skate, toboggan, or hop on a sleigh ride.
- Address: 1000 Murray Ross Pkwy., near the intersection of Jane St. and Steeles Ave.North York, ON M3J 2P3 | Map It
- Phone: 416/736-1733
- Cost: C$15, parking C$7
- Hours: May and June, weekdays 9:30--4, weekends 11--5; July and Aug., weekdays 10--5, weekends 11--5; Sept.--Dec., weekdays 9:30--4, weekends 11--4:30
- Website: www.blackcreek.ca
- Metro Finch, then bus 60 west or Jane, then bus 35.
- Location: Greater Toronto
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $155 -- Chic Toronto Hotel through June, Save 30% Novotel Toronto Centre
- CA$169-$179 -- 4-Diamond Toronto Hotel near Eaton Centre Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- CA$139 -- Toronto Hotel in Trendy Yorkville, $70 Off — $139 Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
At almost 1pm, with a blast of its horn my cruise ship pulls away from the dock and we are on the way for one of the shortest cruises I have ever taken. Read more
From Montreal to Vancouver B.C and many other places I have visited in Canada over the years, I have always enjoyed my time in this beautiful country except for a few winter days in Edmonton or having to Read more
We're driving west to Sault Ste Marie and taking the northern route this year, which we haven't done in many many years.
Looking for suggestions for a place to break the trip-an interesting town, hotel, Read more
· News & Features
New Yorker, Michelin-rated Chef, Frenchman, and father, Daniel Boulud knows where to find great food,... Read more
Canada's largest city is a terrific food destination with five Chinatowns, two Little Italys, a Greektown,... Read more
Last week, the Four Seasons Toronto reopened after getting a major face lift.... Read more