- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kensington Market Review
This collection of colorful storefronts, crumbling brick houses, delightful green spaces, and funky street stalls titillates all the senses. On any given day you can find Russian rye breads, barrels of dill pickles, fresh fish, imported cheese, and ripe fruit. Kensington's collection of vintage-clothing stores is the best in the city.
The site sprang up in the early 1900s, when Russian, Polish, and Jewish inhabitants set up stalls in front of their houses. Since then the district, or "market"—named after the area's major street—has become a sort of United Nations of stores. Unlike the members of the UN, however, these vendors get along well with one another. Jewish and Eastern European shops sit side by side with Portuguese and Caribbean ones, as well as with a sprinkling of Vietnamese and Chinese establishments. Saturday or Sunday are the best days to visit, preferably by public transit; parking is difficult.
- Address: Bordered by College St. on the north, Spadina Ave. on the east, Dundas St. on the south, and Bellevue Ave. on the west, Kensington Market, Toronto, ON | Map It
- Hours: Daily dawn--dusk
- Metro St. Patrick, then streetcar 505 west.
- Location: Chinatown, Kensington Market, Queen West, and The Beach
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $132 & up -- Toronto 4-Star Hotel: Stay 2, Get 3rd Free The Westin Harbour Castle
- $120 & up -- Toronto Hotel in Spring, Stay 3 nights, 20% off Novotel Toronto North York
At almost 1pm, with a blast of its horn my cruise ship pulls away from the dock and we are on the way for one of the shortest cruises I have ever taken. Read more
From Montreal to Vancouver B.C and many other places I have visited in Canada over the years, I have always enjoyed my time in this beautiful country except for a few winter days in Edmonton or having to Read more
We'd love to go to a rodeo this summer while we are on our Canadian travels! Actually, anything that we might not do in the States (or Netherlands where the inlaws are coming from) would Read more
· News & Features
New Yorker, Michelin-rated Chef, Frenchman, and father, Daniel Boulud knows where to find great food,... Read more
Canada's largest city is a terrific food destination with five Chinatowns, two Little Italys, a Greektown,... Read more
Last week, the Four Seasons Toronto reopened after getting a major face lift.... Read more