A delightful example of streamlined moderne design (a later and more austere version of art deco), this building is clad in polished pink granite and smooth buff limestone, with stainless-steel doors. Between 1937 and 1983 the DX (as it's now known) was home to the Toronto Stock Exchange. Don't miss the witty stone frieze carved above the doors—a banker in top hat marching behind a laborer and sneaking his hand into the worker's pocket. Only in Canada, where socialism
has always been a strong force, would you find such a political statement on the side of a stock exchange. In the early 1990s the building reopened as a nonprofit center devoted to promoting Canadian design. The permanent collection consists of more than 600 pieces that span six decades from 1945 to the present; it includes furniture, graphic design, housewares, lighting, and tableware. Check the website for information about rotating exhibits which make good use of the old trading floor. And stop into the Design Exchange shop to browse witty gifts like stackable "totem pole" mugs or kerchiefs with stenciled mustaches.