- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
St. Lawrence Market
St. Lawrence Market Review
Both a lovely landmark and an excellent place to sample Canadian bacon, this market was originally built in 1844 as the first true Toronto city hall. The building now has an exhibition hall upstairs—the Market Gallery—where the council chambers once stood. The food market, which began growing up around the building's square in the early 1900s, is considered one of the world's best. Local and imported foods such as fresh shellfish, sausage varieties, and cheeses are renowned. Stop and snack on Canadian bacon, also known as "peameal bacon," at the Market's Carousel Bakery. The plain brick building across Front Street, on the north side, is open on Saturday mornings for the 200-year-old farmers' market; it's a cornucopia of fine produce and homemade jams, relishes, and sauces from farms just north of Toronto. On Sunday the wares of more than 80 antiques dealers are on display in the same building.
- Address: Front and Jarvis Sts., Old Town, Toronto, ON M5E 1C4 | Map It
- Phone: 416/392–7219
- Hours: Tues.–Thurs. 8–6, Fri. 8–7, Sat. 5 am–5 pm; farmers' market Sat. 5 am–3 pm; antiques market Sun. 5 am–5 pm
- Website: www.stlawrencemarket.com
- Metro Union.
- Location: Harbourfront, the Financial District, and Old Town
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
Just moved to Toronto, and looking for ideas for quick day trips around the area to get an idea of our new neighbourhood. Read more
· News & Features
East to West Coast, and Paris to the Vegas Strip, we've got the summertime guide for you.... Read more
Toronto has always been one of our northern neighbor's hot-spots for art, music, food, and nightlife,... Read more
New Yorker, Michelin-rated Chef, Frenchman, and father, Daniel Boulud knows where to find great food,... Read more