- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Norsemen Restaurant
The Norsemen Restaurant Review
Generations of devotees have returned to this lakeside restaurant in the wooded hills near Huntsville for the warm hospitality and modern Canadian cuisine with French flair, some of whom may even come by canoe or kayak. Built in the 1920s, the lodge became a restaurant in 1970 and is unabashedly rustic and homey: double-sided stone fireplace, locally harvested beams overhead, and oxbows over the doorways. Even the coffee is roasted in-house on a daily basis. Ask to be seated by the screened in porch for a view of the lake to soak in the leisurely evening. Popular and enduring dishes include Ontario rack of lamb and prime rib with Yorkshire pudding. Menu of seven or so entrées include at least one vegetarian option. Round out the meal with fun and modern desserts like s'mores mousse and green-tea poached pear. The extensive wine list is a point of pride. Seatings are between 5:30 and 9:30.
- Address: 1040 Walker Lake Dr., 2 km (1 mi) north of Hwy. 60Huntsville, ON P1H 2J6
- Phone: 705/635-2473; 800/565-3856
- Website: www.norsemen-walkerlake.com
- Location: Huntsville
- Credit cards accepted.
- Jan.--Mar. closed Sun.--Thurs.; Apr., May, and Sept.--Dec. closed Mon. and Tues.; June--Aug. closed Mon., call to confirm. No lunch.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $227* & up -- Canada Sale Fares from Baltimore (One Way) Air Canada
- $155 -- Chic Toronto Hotel through June, Save 30% Novotel Toronto Centre
- $99 -- Ottawa Hotel This Summer incl. Breakfast, 40% Off Quality Hotel Downtown Ottawa
- $649 & up -- 7-Night New England Cruise on Holland America American Express Travel
- CA$169-$179 -- 4-Diamond Toronto Hotel near Eaton Centre — $169-$179 Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
At almost 1pm, with a blast of its horn my cruise ship pulls away from the dock and we are on the way for one of the shortest cruises I have ever taken. Read more
From Montreal to Vancouver B.C and many other places I have visited in Canada over the years, I have always enjoyed my time in this beautiful country except for a few winter days in Edmonton or having to Read more
We're driving west to Sault Ste Marie and taking the northern route this year, which we haven't done in many many years.
Looking for suggestions for a place to break the trip-an interesting town, hotel, Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more