- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Algonquin Provincial Park
Algonquin Provincial Park Review
This park stretches across 7,650 square km (2,954 square miles), containing nearly 2,500 lakes, 272 bird species, 45 species of mammals, and 50 species of fish and encompassing forests, rivers, and cliffs. The typical visitor is a hiker, canoeist, camper, or all three. But don't be put off if you're not the athletic or outdoorsy sort. About a third of Algonquin's visitors come for the day to walk one of the 17 well-groomed and well-signed interpretive trails or to enjoy a swim or a picnic. Swimming is especially good at the Lake of Two Rivers, halfway between the west and east gates along Highway 60. Spring, when the moose head north, is the best time to catch a glimpse of North America's largest land mammal. Getting up at the crack of dawn gives you the best chance of seeing the park's wildlife. Park naturalists give talks on area wildflowers, animals, and birds, and you can book a guided hike or canoe trip. Expeditions to hear wolf howling take place in late summer and early autumn. The park's Algonquin Logging Museum (late-June–mid Oct., daily 9–5) depicts life at an early Canadian logging camp.
- Address: Hwy. 60, main and east gate is west of town of Whitney; west gate is east of town of Dwight Algonquin Provincial Park, ON
- Phone: 705/633–5572
- Cost: C$16 per vehicle
- Hours: Apr.–mid-Oct., daily 8 am–10 pm; mid-Oct.–Mar., daily 9–5. Park attractions may have their own operating hrs; call ahead
- Website: www.algonquinpark.on.ca
- Location: Algonquin Provincial Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just a short (I hope) trip report of my recent trip to Northern Ontario.
The primary purpose of this trip was to do the Agawa Canyon Train Tour.
The Agawa Canyon is a scenic area north of Sault Ste. Marie Read more
My husband and I are planning to take a trip in the fall from Nova Scotia to Niagara Falls, Ontario by way of USA. Read more
Just moved to Toronto, and looking for ideas for quick day trips around the area to get an idea of our new neighbourhood. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more