The Eastern Shore and Northern Nova Scotia Travel Guide
Fodor's Nova Scotia & Atlantic Canada
From the rugged Atlantic coastline to the wave-ravaged rim of the Bay of Fundy and the gentle shores of Northumberland Strait, the area east and north of Halifax is characterized by contrasts. The road toward Cape Breton meanders past thinly populated fishing villages and thick forests, whereas Northumberland Strait is bordered by attractive towns and sandy beaches. The Fundy Shore, meanwhile, scores points for dramatic scenery—expect steep cliffs harboring prehistoric fossils and intense tides that draw back to reveal the muddy sea floor.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Eastern Shore and Northern Nova Scotia restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Eastern Shore and Northern Nova Scotia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $204 & up -- 4-Star Toronto Hotel, Pay Birth Year for 2nd Nt Sheraton Centre Toronto
- $156 -- Calgary 4-Diamond Summer Stay on Weekends, $120 Off Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season." ... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Seems silly writing about Halifax since I literally live 2 hours away but also work in the city during the week. Read more
Many thanks to the various Fodorites who gave comprehensive and generous advice throughout our planning for this month long road trip.
We are two Aussies who have visited western Canada previously and Read more
I will start out by saying that I know that we can't fit it all in.
Arriving Bangor, Maine airport late afternoon June 18th, departing mid-day June 28th.
Priorities: scenic seascape drives, lighthouses, Read more